The Athletic Department at Holy Family is dedicated and committed to helping students develop character, social growth and physical skills through a variety of sports. Beginning in 3rd grade, Holy Family students may take advantage of the school’s traditionally successful athletic program which competes in the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) athletics program sponsored by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles. There are roughly 170 schools that participate in the CYO sports program. Holy Family is one of the 39 schools in the East Region. The varsity level is deemed competitive and includes a post-season.
Holy Family’s athletic success includes numerous conference championships, and as a group, Holy Family teams have distinguished themselves by achieving the highest level of teamwork and sportsmanship. Within the last decade, HFS has had three student athletes named “CYO Athlete of the Year” with nearly (50) athletes being named “All CYO”, received the CYO’s Regional Director’s Cup on three occasions, had over a dozen teams advance to the Final Four in their respective sport and claimed three CYO Championships.
During the 2018 – 2019 school year, Holy Family was the CYO Gold Division (D2) Flag Football Champions!
Holy Family usually competes against the same schools during the conference season. The following schools make up the Foothill Conference: Assumption (Pasadena), Holy Angels (Arcadia), ICA – Immaculate Conception (Monrovia), St. Andrew (Pasadena), St. Elizabeth (Altadena), S.S. Felicitas & Perpetua (San Marino), St. Luke (Temple City), St. Philip (Pasadena), and St. Rita (Sierra Madre).
Alum currently playing at the collegiate level:
- Jake Altmayer (water polo, Naval Academy)
- Katherine Knop (volleyball, Cal)
- Daniel Scott (football, Cal)
- Mattison Interian (women’s soccer, Notre Dame)
- Chris Hall (men’s volleyball, USC)
- Greg Luck (men’s volleyball, Princeton)
- Monica Collins (rowing, Georgetown)
- Patrick Casani (lacrosse, Marquette)
- Sal Spina (track, Stanford)
- Ellis DeJardin (volleyball, Yale)
- Ellie Watkins (volleyball, Georgetown)
- Nicolaus Jakowec (track & field, USC)
HFS is blessed to call these phenomenal student-athletes “alumni”. We hope to see this list continue to grow in the years to come.
Holy Family School offers the following sports:
- Boy’s basketball – grades 5/6 & 7/8 (winter)
- Girl’s basketball – grades 5/6 & 7/8 (winter)
- Co-Ed flag football – grades 5/6 & 7/8 (fall)
- Boy’s soccer – grades 6-8 (spring)
- Girl’s soccer – grades 6-8 (spring)
- Co-Ed track & field – grades 3-8 (spring)
- Boy’s volleyball – grades 5-8 (spring)
- Girl’s volleyball – grades 5/6 & 7/8 (fall)
- Girls Softball – grades 5-8 (spring)
- Golf Club – grades TK-8 (year round)
- Co-Ed cross country – grades 3-8 (fall)
- Cheer – grades 3-8 (year round)
- Equestrian – grades 6-8 (year round)
Additionally, the CYO sponsors a bowling tournament (open to students in grades 5-8) in December.