Welcome New Families
A Warm Welcome to Holy Family School!
We are ALL here to help you have the most amazing first year at HFS! Following are tips and FAQs to guide you into the new school year. If you have any questions, please contact the school office at 626-799-4354. Also, check out our blog for some more tips from current and past Kinder parents to help you make a smooth transition!
Before Your Child Starts School
- DROP-IN DAY All teachers, including the Kindergarten teachers, will be in their classrooms to greet you and your child from 8:00-11:00 a.m. Students from grades 1-8 may also drop off their backpacks and school supplies in their classrooms. In addition, various committee representatives will have tables set up in the breezeway with volunteer sign up opportunities. It is a great time to ask questions and learn about the many volunteer options available to help you fulfill your family service hours and volunteer in your child’s classroom. Be sure to bring your calendar and check book with you on this day, so that you can sign up for Hot Lunch and other activities.
- KINDERGARTEN ORIENTATION: Orientation is a meeting held in the Kindergarten classrooms for parents only. Parents will meet our Kindergarten teachers, Mrs. Ascencio and Ms. Sicka, to learn about the class curriculum and activities, and have the opportunity to ask questions. Only one parent is required to attend.
- UNIFORMS: Please read the Uniform Policy. There are two ways to obtain school uniforms:
1) New Uniforms are sold at CKW located at 9400 Las Tunas Drive in Temple City. (Click here for website). The CKW staff will help you select the necessary uniform items so please make sure to bring your child to try on clothing. Clearly label all items with student’s last name (can be reused for younger siblings). For an additional charge CKW will embroider your family name on sweatshirts, jackets, etc.
2) Gently used uniforms are available through the Trading Post at HFS at no cost! The Trading Post is temporarily discontinued until further notice unfortunately, and we will notify families when the service is up and running again. Clothing items can be requested by completing the Trading Post Request Form or at the school office.
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES: Kindergarten School Supplies will be requested throughout the year by Mrs. Ascencio and Ms. Sicka. The supply list for grades 1-8 is included in the summer mailer sent in July. Grades 1-8 can drop off supplies in their classrooms on Drop-in Day, or bring the first day of school.
- BUDDY FAMILIES: This is a special tradition at HFS, where new families are paired with a “buddy family” to help answer any questions or concerns during the first year.
- PARENT HANDBOOK: The Parent/Student Handbook, a contract between the parents, students and the school, outlines all general school information. It is handed out at the first mandatory Parent Guild meeting in September. Please take the time to review it before your child begins school.
The Basics of HFS
TUITION: Tuition is paid monthly through Smart Tuition. Please contact the school office or visit http://www.school.holyfamily.org for details.
CARPOOL: Carpool is an important process for getting our children to and from school in a safe and efficient manner. Please make sure to study the carpool instructions that will be mailed to you in the HFS summer email. They clearly outline the directions to follow when entering and exiting the school. Room Parents will be contacting all families asking for volunteers.
PARENT COMMITMENT- There are 3 requirements that complete each family’s commitment:
1. Volunteer/Service Hours: Each family is required to volunteer 40 hours per year (20 hours for single parent family). You will have the opportunity to volunteer for school activities on Drop-in Day so please visit all of the volunteer tables and sign up early. All hours need to be completed before April 30, 2017. Click here for form or visit the school office. Please refer to the Parent Commitment page for more details.
2. Fundraising: The required fundraising commitment per family for the school year is $300. This commitment can be met via support of the Fall Fundraiser (Christmas Tree Sales), the Jog-a-thon fundraiser or a combination of both. (See Parent Guild Fundraisers for more details). Fundraising commitment is due March 30, 2017.
3. SCRIP: Click here for more details about the program. In the meantime, we encourage families to register grocery cards as the Scrip year is May 1st thru April 30th. If you have questions, please contact Diane Ciulla, Scrip Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. Get a head start this summer!
ROOM PARENTS: Room Parents in each respective class are your main sources of contact for your particular grade. They act as liaisons between the teacher and parents to keep communications up to date and seamless by sending out emails, flyers, etc.
SCHOOL-WIDE COMMUNICATIONS: There are several ways to keep you apprised of important dates and events at the school. For current info, we have a Weekly Newsletter that is sent via email every Monday highlighting important news and events for the week. You should already be added to our mailing list; if not, please contact the Communications Committee at email@example.com. You can also follow our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HFKnights) for daily news, updates and events. Lastly, our website is a great source of information to quickly get access to the school calendar, forms, fundraising, after school activities and more. Our website also features pages for each class that includes class news, class events and homework assignments updated by the teachers. You can also check out our blog and Principal’s page for important announcements.
When do the students have P.E.?
PE is scheduled two times a week.
When do the students attend mass?
Your child will attend mass weekly with their class. Additionally, Monthly All-School Mass Days are sponsored by a different grade every month. All kids wear school uniforms (no PE clothes). The parents of the sponsoring class normally walk into mass and sit with their child. Immediately following the mass, a retreat for that particular class and their parents is held in the Parish Hall. It is a very special day for the children. The May Crowning Mass sponsored by the 3rd grade is an especially wonderful mass.
What is Time Well-Spent? How can I sign up?
“Time Well Spent” is provided for the students of parents who need adult supervision for their children after school. Students have a designated homework time and also enjoy a snack and playtime. This program is open to all students who attend Holy Family School. The hours of operation are from dismissal (including half days) until 6:00 p.m. Participants are invoiced monthly. Click here for Time Well Spent Registration Form. For more information, contact Ms. Ericka Giordano at 626-403-6177 or 626-799-4354. For billing inquiries, contact 626-403-6161.
What is Hot Lunch?
We offer a hot lunch schedule each semester that includes delicious selections from baked ziti to In-N-Out! Forms will be available at Drop-In day.
What is Choice Lunch?
Parents can also opt to order Choice Lunch, a simple online ordering system/mobile app, that is delivered to our school. Check the website here for details. The registration code is HFKnights.
What do I need to know about the Annual Back to School Picnic and BBQ?
Annual Back to School Picnic and BBQ is a wonderful way to meet new families and a special tradition of HFS. You can purchase tickets at Drop in Day or Back to School Night. Dress is casual. The picnic will be held on Sunday, September 11 from 3-6 p.m. at Garfield Park in South Pasadena.
What is the Welcome Cocktail Reception?
We invite new families, buddy families, HFS Parent Guild Board/Committee Chair’s and HFS teachers and staff to come together, welcome the new families and celebrate the start of a new school year. It is a great way to interact with the teachers in a casual environment.