Holy Family School has a rich tradition of academic excellence serving the parish and the community at large since 1937. The school was founded by the sisters of Loretto on September 7, 1937 with 94 eager students in four classrooms. Initially, the school covered grades 1 through 8, but in 1939, the school added a preschool. Kindergarten was added two years later.
Teaching has always been a core strength of Holy Family. The first principal was Sister Constantine, and Reverend James Morris served as the school’s first pastor. Its first faculty consisted of 5 sisters, four full-time classroom teachers and one music teacher. In 1938, Holy Family graduated eight students from the eighth grade. As Holy Family’s reputation and the parish grew, enrollment increased to a peak of 361 in 1958, a mere 20 years after its founding.
In 1980, the school became entirely lay staffed as the Sisters of Loretto needed to meet other obligations in the religious community. The school continued its strong religious curriculum coupled with rigorous academic classes.
Over the years, the demands of a growing religious community, coupled with the educational needs of an evolving and challenging curriculum, required that the facilities be expanded and redesigned. The new Education Center was specifically built and opened in 1999 to provide for these needs. In addition to large, state-of-the-art classrooms, the school provides a fully equipped science laboratory, computer facilities, a library, and visual arts and music rooms.
In 2013, Dr. Frank Montejano became the principal of Holy Family School with a focus on continuing the academic and religious excellence that has become a hallmark of the school over the last 70 years.